Thursday, July 15, 2010

Onion Burgers


My husband and I love eating onions...I am so glad we both like them because I know that the odor that comes from eating them isn't always the most pleasant...but since we both like them, we figure, "Hey! We cancel each other out!" This week we tried out this recipe and were blown away by the flavor of these burgers. The secret ingredient is a can of beer! I know some of my fellow LDS friends out there might go, "What?" Well, peace be with you my fellow friends but the alcohol cooks out! The beer is used to braise the onions and is also used in the meat mixture. The meat mixture consists of the beer, Dijon mustard, and garlic, and chopped red peppers. The onions are cooked in butter and the beer to give them a sweet, yet tangy flavor. Also great condiments for this burger are bacon, lettuce and tomatoes. Enjoy!

Onion Burgers

recipe and picture adapted from blog chef.com
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef or turkey ( I prefer turkey)
Hamburger buns, lightly toasted
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c. red pepper, finely chopped
1/4 c. beer
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
2 c. cheddar cheese

Beer Braised Onions

1 large onion, sliced
2 T. butter
1 T. sugar
3/4 c. beer

Step 1: In a large bowl combine ground beef or turkey, garlic, red pepper, ¼ cup beer, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Form mixture into 4 patties that are 1” thick. Grill on medium heat for 4-6 minutes per side.
Step 2: While burgers are cooking, to make beer braised onions- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onions and cook while stirring over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add ¾ cup of beer and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Cook until beer is absorbed and the onions are lightly browned (about 15 minutes).
Step 3:
Just before burgers are done cooking top each burger with shredded cheese and heat until slightly melted. Remove burgers from the grill. Serve on toasted buns and top with onions. (Makes 4 Good sized Burgers)

I

Ashlee, The Culinary Queen

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments. I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...