Thursday, March 10, 2011

White Chicken Chili


Even though Spring time usually brings warm days, there are still a few days when the weather can be a little bit blustery and chilly. On those blustery, chilly spring days, my little family and I love to hunker down and hibernate in our warm home and eat warm soups, chili's and stews. Having something comforting to eat definitely lifts the spirits, warms the tummy and soul. I came across this tummy and soul warming recipe recently and it has truly become one of my favorite chili's to make this winter/spring. This white chicken chili is filling but isn't as heavy as most chili recipes end up being.

I love that This chili has just a touch of heat from several of the ingredients but can easily be tailored to fit your individual family's liking. To control and balance out the heat, my little family enjoys adding a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of Monterey Jack Cheese to the top of each bowl! May your souls and tummy's stay warm this spring with this delicious Chili recipe.

White Chicken Chili
recipe and photo courtesy of blogchef.com

Ingredients:
1 T. vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 (4 oz) cans mild chopped green chili peppers
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. dried oregano
1/4 t.-1 t. cayenne pepper (I only add 1/4 t. for my family and it provides plenty of heat for us!)
2 (14.5 oz.) cans of Chicken broth
3 c. cooked chicken breasts, chopped
3 (15 oz) cans White Beans
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack Cheese

Cooking Instructions:
Step One: In a saucepan over medium low heat add the oil. Add the onions and stir fry until tender. Mix in garlic, green chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Continue to stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
Step Two: Mix in Chicken broth, chicken and white beans. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step Three: Remove from heat and add Shredded Monterey Jack cheese until melted. Serve with warm and top with additional cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

I

Ashlee, The Culinary Queen

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments. I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...