I love simple and easy dinner recipes! Well, let me tell you, this recipe is easy. and. simple. I was a little hesitant to make this pizza recipe for my family or should I say (kids) because I was afraid that they (kids) wouldn't touch it especially since the pesto is green! Anything that even resembles a Green veggie triggers initial panic and a state of distress at our home. FEAR NOT, for I have found a recipe that the kidlets ate! *Cue angels singing*
In fact there were very. clean. plates. the night that I made this.
This recipe starts out with a regular french bread baguette and is topped with a pre-made pesto sauce, grilled/sauted chicken, mushrooms, onions and grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. This recipe took me a total of 30 minutes to prepare and serve to my ravenous family! This is definitely a perfect recipe to serve to the troops on a busy weeknights!
Chicken Pesto French Bread Pizza
1 Loaf of French Bread
2 T. olive oil
2 chicken breasts
salt and pepper
11/2 t. garlic, minced
1 Large white onion, halved and then sliced
1 small jar of pesto ( I found mine at Walmart near the spaghetti sauce)
1/2 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 c. Mozzarella cheese, grated
1 c. Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Cut your chicken into bite sized pieces using kitchen shears or a knife. Heat a large skillet with 1 tbsp. olive oil. When olive oil and pan are nice add your garlic and chicken. Season with salt and pepper and saute until chicken and garlic are nice and golden brown. When you have achieved this. Remove from pan and set aside for later.
2. In the same skillet, add another tbsp. olive oil and add your onions and fresh mushrooms. Saute until onions are golden brown and mushrooms are cooked.
3. Cut your French bread length wise (not into pieces) or right through the middle giving you two halves to put your toppings on!
4. Spread your pesto sauce on each slice of French bread. Layer chicken, onions, mushrooms over the top of the pesto and then sprinkle your cheeses over the top.
5. Cook in a 400 degree oven until cheese is nice and bubbly and until the bread is heated through. Slice into pieces and serve! Enjoy!